Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Our Latest Project

My poor husband never seems to get that "promised" summer vacation.  Life is always rearing its ugly head and that is to be expected, but for the last several summers my husband has had HUGE remodeling projects.  2011 he remodeled his recently purchased house that was a mess!  Last year, he enticed me by building me a cute cottage with an even cuter courtyard.  Which is how I ended up in New Mexico.  Great husband AND a cute sanctuary, oh I think so!

After the last post was placed, the final panel in place and a slew of pretty flowers, he vowed to take a summer off with NO projects!  He was quite adamant too...until last month.  =)

Our latest project is taking a hell hole and turning it into a palace.  Ok, maybe not quite a palace, but it feels like that when we go from 1100 sq ft to 2100 sq ft.

Since I am living out here in boonyville away from my family and friends, I figured a little blog about our adventures could be quite fun.  Going from the trials, tribulations, laughter, Suzy'isms, snarky comments and general fun!

Besides, I need input, opinions, well wishes, words of encouragement and someone who can laugh and cry with me with the occasional "Holy Shit, Sue!"  (Say it super fast and you will know why it is my mom's favorite phrase to say to me!"

Let's get started, shall we?

Living Room Complete with pink carpet and a piano

The surprise waiting for us under the pink carpet
Quite a bit of sealant and it's looking AND smelling better!

Yes, we HAD what looked like PINK carpet.  At least, that is what it looked like with all the piss and soda stains.  The lovely people who lived here prior to us had at least 5 dogs that LIVED and PEED in the house. The boys who lived here LOVED having soda fights.  We have soda stains everywhere, light fixtures, blinds, carpet, weirdness!

There was definitely a moment when I wanted to run away screaming from my poochy.  Instead, I came home and threatened her very life.  Not sure she understood, because she was too excited about the prospects of a walk.  Hmmmm.

Thankfully, hubby and the neighbor were brave souls and removed all the carpet and took to the dump.  We had to sanitize both of them and I really was dying to break out haz-mat suits just to be funny!

All the nasty carpet!
It goes without saying that for the next several weeks we are going to be BUSY, but we are hoping to be all moved in by the 25th of May.  Stephan still has about two months of work to do on the back area, wait til you see THAT, but at least we will be moved in to our new place and it will be a lot easier for him to work on our next little oasis.

So sit back, enjoy the pictures and be happy you don't live anywhere near me!  =)

Love you all!

Suzy

2 comments:

  1. I love a good "We" project Suzy Q. I will come help when the kids are out of school. Oh! I just got my June issue of Romantic Homes, it has a stunning kitchen on page 10 that you must see for inspiration.
    love you back, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you definitely took on one of those fixer uppers. I had done this when I bought a HUD property in MN in 1990. It did not come with the pink stuff and all its inclusive yuk but it was a decorators nightmare. I had to take everything off the walls and repaint. Had to finish the bath downstairs and the 4th bedroom downstairs. the family room had a jacuzzi that had just the frame and plumbing left behind. The jacuzzi itself was gone. Beautiful tile work but ---- in the family room? Had to have the electrical brought up to code. The box was a disaster and it wasn't even an old place. Previous owner must have been a hack of some kind LOL! Had house for 3 yrs then moved into another HUD property ( Dec 1993) that again needed some work. Tore out ugly burnt orange carpet in basement, jackhammer out bathroom floor in basement and then found after a week of not going down there and having had the water turned on for the first time in 2 years there were broken pipes in that bathroom. So more work to attend to. The french style patio door was rotted through and it was Dec in MN with below freezing temps. Had to work fast down there. and it goes on from there. So,, if you would like any advice, email me :-) Eileen

    ReplyDelete